Harvey Weinstein Still Looking For A Defense Attorney After Benjamin Brafman Leaves His Case
Written by KFAT on January 29, 2019
Maria Therese Agcopra Agcopra – Fourth Estate Contributor
Manhattan, NY, United States (4E) – Movie producer Harvey Weinstein is still searching for a new defense attorney to represent him in his criminal case in Manhattan after top defense attorney Benjamin Brafman withdrew as his counsel.
New York courts page revealed that a new name has not been indicated to replace Brafman as Weinstein’s attorney. A source told Fox News that Weinstein’s camp has not found the right counsel but are in active conversations with “dozens of attorneys” and a final decision is about to be made.
Weinstein and Brafman released a joint statement on Thursday to officially confirm their separation. In the statement it was said that both “agreed to part ways amicably” and that Brafman will cooperate with the new counsel to ensure an orderly transition for Weinstein’s case.
According to the Los Angeles Times, sources said Brafman wanted to quit over “differences in strategy.”
Brafman has been representing the disgraced movie mogul since the sexual harassment claims against first surfaced in 2017. Since then, he has been leading the charge against Weinstein’s indictment, which he described as “deeply flawed.”
Brafman took a more aggressive approach in handling the case, first by undermining Weinstein’s accusers by attacking their reliability. He also questioned the conduct of the New York Police Department and prosecutors for failing to turn over exculpatory evidence to the court. Such evidence allegedly confirm that Weinstein had a consensual relationship with his accusers, and if presented and proved in court, could dismiss the cases against him.
Weinstein will appear in court on January 25, Friday, to “acknowledge his new attorney” and to accept May 6 as the start date for his trial.
Article – All Rights Reserved.
Provided by FeedSyndicate